A great and precise arrow flight starts with a great arrow rest. Arrow rests are essential equipment for any bow hunters.
Rest is a device that serves as a support on the bow,
and it keeps the arrow secured in place until the projectile is fired. It is important since it helps improve the aiming and shooting precision of users,
and it is vital to carefully choose the best arrow support because it can greatly affect one’s shooting accuracy.
There are three main categories of rests in today's market: Prong or
shoot-through rests, cradle rests, and drop-away or fall-away rests. The prices
run from as cheap as under ten dollars for the simple "Flipper" rests, to the
most complicated designed "Drop Away" rests, which cost more than $100.
When you purchase an arrow rest, make sure you check the following features:
- Easy and quick to setup
- The weight (it adds weight to your bow set!)
- Right or left handed models (make sure it matches your bow)
- Easy to adjust/tune with windage and elevation
- Make sure it works effectively with the type of arrow you shoot.
(Material, diameter, weight and etc...)
Here are the three main categories of rests:
- Prong or Shoot-through Rests: the most common types of rests,
which have two slightly separated prongs wherein the arrow will pass through.
- Cradle Rests: it literally holds the arrow in place and is
preferred by most bow hunters
- Drop-Away or Fall-Away Rests: a combination of the strengths of
the shot-thru and containment arrow supports and is preferred by most experienced archers.
Click to read our
Arrow Rest Buyer's Guide.